Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Beautiful Loser


"He wants to dream like a young man, with the wisdom of an old man." And so starts a song sung by Bob Seger, a song that from the first day I heard it I was sure it was written specifically about me.

"He wants his home and security, He wants to live like a sailor at sea ..." may seem like a phrase contradicting itself, but I think its that contradiction that really hits home with me. On one hand, the security of home and family is one of those facets of life that keep us all grounded. On the other, the sense that life's adventures and challenges are out there for us to experience.

There are lines that make me feel good when I hear them like, "He's your oldest and your best friend, if you need him, he'll be there again." and there are lines that cut deep with truth that make me know this is me he's singing about, "He's always willing to be second best, a perfect lodger, a perfect guest." 

I told my son once that this was my favorite song of all time, and his initial reaction was one of most folks that hear me say that, "You're not a loser!". He's right, I'm not a loser .... but a "beautiful Loser" is something else altogether.

Seger once said the song was about "people who set their goals so low that they never achieve anything ... underachievers in general". He wrote it, and he's entitled to his opinion, but I don't hear it like that. A Beautiful Loser to me is one who knows his place in the world and understands that it's not on top where he may WANT to be, but rather more like a "supporting role", the character actor in life I guess.  A Beautiful Loser is the "nice guy", the guy that gives of himself in order to be a part of something, often at his own expense, but for the good of the whole.

"He'll never make any enemies, he won't complain if he's caught in a freeze." Well at least the "goal" is to never make enemies, but I did learn a long time ago that you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. But I do try hard not to offend. "He'll always ask, he'll always say please." Of course I do ... that's' how I was raised. 

"Beautiful loser, Never take it all, 'Cause it's easier And faster when you fall, You just don't need it all". This obviously says different thing to different people, but to me, its a reminder to keep life simple and un-cluttered. A complicated life is .... well, complicated. A good life is made up of a few simple and key components; Love, Family and a good sense of 'Self'.

We all have our own favorite songs; ones that touch a nerve or help us keep a memory we cherish. My personal playlist is long and varied, but this tune will always have a spot at the top. It's a verse that simply speaks to me, about me, and about what's important in life. Sometimes when I'm feeling down, feeling more like a "loser" than a winner, I listen to this song, and it just helps.

2 comments: