Thursday, May 18, 2017

A Boyd's Eye View: Passing it on pays pretty well.

Most of my friends know I am the type that does not necessarily live for my work. To me, life comes first. I have no idea how long I will be on this planet, so I choose to live my life with a freedom many can not bring themselves to understand. Oh don't get me wrong, it does have its drawbacks ... like the fact that I make very little money. But I don't need a lot to be happy, especially when teaching what I know makes me happier than just about anything.

Over the past couple months I have been approached by a handful of groups asking if I could lend my experience and background to help them grow their respective entities. The best part is, each one of them is about reaching people and helping them to get more from their outdoor experiences. What could be more rewarding than that?

In one case, I spend time each day reaching out to people and companies asking for support for an organization dedicated to making the fishing experience better for everyone. In another, I help organize programs and events through church that dovetail people's love of the outdoors with the message from our maker. There's the group of young "millennials" working hard to make their mark as outdoors entrepreneurs that have reached out to me and sharing my advice with them has helped fuel me more than they will ever know. And then there's the newest request for my time, to help bring a group of high school age folks together as a fishing club - to teach them not only how to fish, but how to enjoy the outdoors to enrich their lives.

Do I get paid for any of these endeavors? Yes, in a way, but not in the financial sense. I have a lifetime of knowing how to get outdoors and have fun fishing, hunting, etc. Being able to share that experience and pass it on to others pays me more dividends than I can count. That's not to say that there may be some financial benefit down the road ... but there may not be either. I simply don't care about that part. Thank goodness I have a lovely wife with a good job and a keen understanding of how I tick.

I recently turned the big 6-0. Funny .... I don't feel like I thought 60 was supposed to feel. I do ache more than I used to, but a warm shower and a couple Tylenol usually take care of that. Where I have struggled the most at this stage of the game is what can I do to leave my mark on the world. I'm happy to say I know what that is and I am enjoying sharing what I know with those that are willing to listen.

Here's a piece of unsolicited advice; If you find yourself struggling with where you are in your life, give some of what life has given you to someone else. Share what you know. It could be a favorite recipe, it could be a craft you are particularly fond of, even if you don't think you're all that good at it. It may be something as simple as sharing a story.

We've all heard the phrase "You can't take it with you." Most folks think of money or material things when they hear it, but maybe more importantly it goes for what you have learned in your life. I can honestly say these days the phrase "The more you give, the more you get" carries more importance with me. That's my Boyd's eye view anyway. Carry on.



No comments:

Post a Comment