Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Autumn Transition

The past few days my thoughts have been on the weather; the seasons to be more precise. For most of my life I have lived in parts of the country where the change of seasons is VERY pronounced. Having experienced each season many times I have developed a defined fondness for the transition into fall. After all, the switch from winter to spring (while always welcome) is a sloppy mess, and no one in their right mind would look forward to autumn falling into winter.

The autumnal transition offers so many wonderful sights, sounds and aromas. From my early childhood this time of year meant long drives with Mom and Grandma through the Ozark countryside stocking up on apples, peaches and various berries that were then transformed into these wondrous concoctions like cobbler, jam and a family favorite, Grandma's Apple Butter. The smells emanating from Mom's kitchen back all those years ago stick with me to this day.

For a time my falls were consumed with hunting seasons. I spent 20+ years of autumns chasing pheasants, grouse, geese, ducks, coyotes, deer, and the occasional feral cat. As I've gotten older, fall means a return of football season, great fishing and the return of what I like to refer to as "comfort clothing", ie. sweatshirts, polar fleece jackets and flannel-lined jeans. Temperatures are ideal - no more sweating just standing still, yet it hasn't yet gotten so cold you have to move to keep from freezing.

I love being the only idiot on the golf course on a Saturday morning with the air crisp, the fog light and the dew heavy. There's also something really satisfying about catching monster smallmouth when there's no one else on the water (they're all busy sitting in goose blinds or deer stands).

I think it's inspirational how small town folks rally together every Friday night to cheer their high school football team. That's not even to mention the fever that takes hold here in NE Wisconsin when the Badgers play on Saturday and the Pack take the field on Sunday.

I love the fact that beverage preferences go from cold soda to hot chocolate and apple cider. As a matter of fact, coming full circle, foods and smells from the kitchen once again bring me to more reasons to love autumn. It's a time of year I start making chili again on Sundays, and that along with the waft of various gourmet coffees are some of my favorite smells these days.

Oh yeah, I love watching the leaves change colors signaling the coming of fall ... I just don't like raking them up. Oh well, no one said autumn was the perfect season; it doesn't last nearly long enough, and always ends with winter coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment